Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Effective Communication Skills

When I first saw the email about ES2007S, I told myself I had to take this module before I graduate. This is what I lack and needed. However, I was hesitating when bidding for this module as I do not have the confidence to present and express my ideas and feelings by using English. Now, I take it as a chance for me to practice and build up my confidence. At the same time, enhance my relationships with others and prepare myself before entering the workplace.

As an undergraduate who has to start hunting for job soon during global economic crisis period, it is really important for me to know, for example how to write a good resume. How can I compete with thousands of fresh graduates and get the chance for interview? What should I notice in order to create a good impression during the interviews?

We are involved in communication every day. Even silence is a form of communication. An ineffective communication can cause misinterpretation, misunderstanding and may even lead to conflict. Appropriate manner of speaking, tone, body language and active listening can build a good communication climate and allow both parties to have a much deeper conversation. Besides, it is even able to resolve conflict and problem. Effective communication is really useful in our daily life.

However, I may not think about all these rules before I act and speak. I think I still need more practices in order to communicate well.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mee Hiong,
    I agree that writing a good resume is very important because companies receive so many applications for one position, being able to write well will definitely be an advantage. Likewise during interviews, not expressing oneself well will certainly not leave a good impression on the interviewer. Especially when there are many candidates with good results applying for the same job, being able to communicate well will surely distinguish one from the rest. Hopefully we will all communicate more effectively after taking this module!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mee Hiong,

    We are facing the same barrier. Haha... Anyway, i believe that we will gain a lot through this module by turning the knowledge we learn to continuous practice in our daily life. Hope that we will enjoy the learning process together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there!

    I agree with you that learning effective communication skills will give us a leg up at job hunting.

    I think quite a number of people take the ability to speak and write for granted, especially those who are in a technical field. When it comes to these fields, what first comes into peoples' minds how much knowledge you have, not how you present it.

    However in daily life, it does not matter how much knowledge you have, but how you present that knowledge in a way acceptable to others. Thus I think it is really important that we learn how to communicate, in addition to our pursuit of hard knowledge, to be able to express ourselves better, to differentiate ourselves and get that coveted job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries Mee Hiong , you are not alone ! I believe that many of us took this module because we want to become more effective in comunication. This definitely takes skills.And I have realised that one need not have to use flowery language when speaking , I believe that one should use the right words at the correct time. Sometimes, one short and sweet sentence sums up the whole story better. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete